fot

A Spectator's View of Mid-Ohio - long

To: "FoT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Spectator's View of Mid-Ohio - long
From: "Wendy Hart" <hartw@plastekgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:05:54 -0400
Hi All,

Wow, what a great weekend!! Our job for the weekend was to assist Bob
Williams in Tech by timing the pit stops during the enduro races so for most
of the weekend, we were spectators. It felt very odd to be at Mid-Ohio, have
so little work to do and not see Al out on course, but it gave us ample time
to wander around and see what an SVRA event was like.

It was amazing to see so many Triumphs, both race and street. Everywhere you
looked, there was a Triumph! It kinda gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling to be
around them all. An internal fuzzy feeling; nothing like what Mike must've
felt with that new fur bra adorning the front of his car...

We had managed to get the TR6 running & inspected the Monday before we left
for Mid-Ohio and I'm glad we did. I got to drive during the parade laps; the
first time I ever drove on a race track in a sports car. It was truly
impressive -- when we reached the top of the keyhole, we could not see the
start of the line nor the end of the line; there were that many Triumphs on
course.

You could say this is our home track and Al knows the line very well, so
while everyone around us was sticking to the middle of the road, Al was
telling me where to put the car as if we were at speed. There were a couple
times where the cars ahead would pull away and oh darn! I had to step on it
to catch up.

As we were going under the Honda walkway, there was one such break. The revs
were climbing, we were heading up the hill, I had no idea what was over the
crest and Al called "There's the notch in the treeline! Go straight for it!
Don't lift!!!" I put my trust in him and God, kept my foot in it and shot
right where he told me. Wouldn't you know, we were perfectly set up for the
next corner. Ok, so I never made it to third gear, but it was exciting!!
Since then, I've been picturing that TR7 shell out back behind the garage
with a shiny new roll cage & striking fear into the hearts of MG drivers
everywhere as I tear up the track at blistering speeds..........sorry, I'm
getting carried away. :-)

We shot almost 5 rolls of film, took a whole mess of digital pictures and
got about 40 minutes of video. If we can figure out how, we'll get
everything uploaded for yous to see. We met many wonderful people, including
Joe A. Thanks again for a wonderful event, Joe. Did your son find that notch
in the trees? Better yet, did it help him pass anyone?

Kas is a true gentleman. I wonder how many other drooling newbies he had to
put up with as they dragged him around to get autographs and snapshots of
him with their Triumph (like me?)? Thank you, Kas.

I also managed to learn a bit more about setting our TR6 up right (why
didn't anyone tell the DPO, or us for that matter, that the taller springs
go in the REAR suspension?!? D'oh!).

My only regrets from the weekend was that we didn't bring enough film and we
didn't get to meet all the folks I had hoped to. There was so much going on
it was tough to decide what to do next. Maybe we'll see yous all in 10
years? Hopefully sooner!

Thanks again to everyone for such a memorable experience,
Wendy & Al Hart
1975 TR6
1976 TR7

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential property
of the Plastek Group, intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the specified recipient,
please forward this message to rayg@plastekgroup.com.

www.plastekgroup.com