fot

FoT Business

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: FoT Business
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:59:22 -0500
FOT Race Update -- Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 20 & 21.

David Spiwak was once again the only TR running this event which was the
20th annual race through the streets of Schenley Park in Pittsburgh.
 His car ran strong all weekend with a new motor and only a minor
waterpump problem causing him to get some dirt under his fingernails.
 With a new red paint job his TR3 looked supurb.  A few Pittsburgh area
FOT members were in attendence, Jerry VanVlack, Ed ?, Bruce Stutzman and
Rich Rock were there cheering on the racers.  This was my first time to
race there since I never really had a car old enough to get accepted.
 David has a right hand drive small mouth TR3 and has been able to
convince the organizers he should be there.  This year with a Lotus
Eleven I had no problem  getting accepted.

Boy, am I ever glad I went, even though it meant I had to miss the BRIC.
 This is also a big spectator event, but it's free for everyone so they
come out in the thousands to see the car show on Saturday (rumor has it
there were over 400 British cars alone) and watch the races on Saturday
and Sunday.  The circuit is certainly daunting with tall curbs, crowned
roadways, drainage manholes (some at the apex covered with hay bales),
trees, fire hydrants, and big stone walls!  But it was a really fun
event and I would recommend to anyone who can get in, to come and do it
at least once.  They had a record 140 cars for this event and are going
to have to find more paddock space if it continues to grow.  It was also
my first VSCCA event and it was "interesting".  No complaints though,
and I going back next year for sure!

Vroom, vroom,

Jeff