fot

Re: Triumph water pumps

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph water pumps
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:49:08 -0700
I figure that 20 pounds is a good saftey pressure.  You can't get hurt with
lots of block pressure.  The thing to measure is the presure when the engine
is under load and revving in the higher ranges .  The high water pump revs
is what causes the caviatation and loss of pressure. Do this while driving
or on the dyno ( I did all this on the engine dyno) as the revs go up around
the 5 grand mark the pressure just starts to slide and goes down quickly
nearing zero at about 65 to 7 g's.. I've seen the normal block pressure go
to zero from cavitation at around 5000 revs in several engines.  Most cases
the pumps were made to cool at normal STREET rpm which is under 3500 in most
cases ( my view) but at racing revs they are WAY too high fast. Probably
about 3 water pump to 5 crank will get the thing right. I don't remember the
exact ratios and a lot is dependant on the pulleys you can find. I remember
using a 3" on the water pump and the smallest I could find on the crank
which was in the 1" plus range. (These were Gilmer belt pulleys) These were
of course in the "olden days" so  probably a lot more is available now.
AND if you the drive with a Gilmer belt you also pick up a nice piece of
power @ high revs.