fot

Oh oh, this could be trouble....

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Oh oh, this could be trouble....
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:43:58 -0600 (MDT)
Maybe it was the TR7 V8s the lads brought over with them for Mid Ohio, maybe
it's the heat stroke from last weekend's British Motor Club drive, maybe the
Slagle "Shape of Things That Win" trailer, maybe the moon or just some bad
barbeque.  Burp.  Actually the bbq I consumed this weekend was excellent.

But I've decided that for the next IVR race, August 17/18, I'll take the blue
TR7 coupe that has been slowly rotting away in front of the shop for a few
years.  I actually did get the motor fired up and running for a bit, did a
compression check, doesn't look too bad - lowest was just over 125, highest
was just under 135.  The car belonged to a fellow who started autocrossing
with Pugs and I in a Spitfire, and he decided that maybe he needed a street
car ( the Spit) and a race car.  This blue '76 coupe was sitting at a local
shop, and he actually believed some of the rumors I'd heard about TR7s being
great handling cars.  Anyway, he moved to California and left the TR7 behind,
[The short story] along with multiple carb variations (I'll probably replace
the dual Weber DGVs on it now for the DCOE setup) and new springs, dampers,
bushings and such bits in various boxes and bags.

This is Terra Incognito for me.  A strut suspension?  Subframe?  What are these
anti-dive spacers?  Geez, do I need to buy a fresh batch of metric tooling?

Not really sure where this project is actually headed.  It could be just
an uprated street machine (air conditioning, lockable trunk, a decent music
system - I could drive THAT to TRF next year!) or a full-out "state of the
wallet" specialty racing machine.  Or the day after the IVR races you may
want to check EBay for a good deal on a just reworked TR7 - we shall see.
Hmmm, 25 days to go.  This could be interesting.

Anyone have any tips, comments, suggestions, or personal experience in
tuning these things?  I think I have some Triumph Tune writeups of work they
did on a 7, it must be here somewhere.

Suggestions on which way to run from this project, and the speed involved in
doing so will also be considered.

mjb.

ps: Just considering the Touring option for the August event, and depending
    on how that goes wheel to wheel for the September 21/22 weekend.  Can I
    get a V8 in it by then?
    http://www.team.net/ivr