fot

Re: Tyre Pressure/Temperature

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "Wes Dayton" <oilyrag@hsrca.org.au>,
Subject: Re: Tyre Pressure/Temperature
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:10:26 -0500
You're exactly right, Bill, and I do much the same albeit with a lot less
thrashing about it. Club racing with a crew of "self" mandates that. In my
case, through many years of doing this, I have a baseline of where to start.

I want a racing pressure of about 24F 27R. I know I will go up about three
pounds from cold on an autocross run, about six pounds from cold in several
racing laps, and I set my pressures accordingly. My target pressure may vary
depending on the track or course, especially if it is predominantly right or
left. And I may adjust between autox runs or between practice and race
depending on what I feel the handling doing -- usually a factor of the
track, the surface, the weather, etc., even just how I am driving the car
that day.

But my point to Mr. Dayton was really, I do that before I go out, not the
previous day! Yesterday is irrelevant.

I've basically found if my sun-side tires have gained a couple of pounds,
they are still "cold" as far as the tire is concerned, compared to what will
be "hot" after the tire has been raced. So I generally even out the
pressures to where I want them to start just before I go out. Seems to work.

--Rocky