fot

steering rack question

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering rack question
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:09:39 -0500
FOT,
I have a friend who is involved with a rather ambitious project to build
replica Cobras, alluminum bodies and all. They have replicated the frames, and
are working on the bodies now, but are still sourcing some items like the
steering racks. They plan on selling these cars in the sometime future, and
are attempting to do it first class and duplicate as acurately as possible
with new parts. They have invested mega bucks in the project already. Anyhow,
they are trying to source steering racks and they wrote me the following to
which I have no answer. I though someone on the list might know more:

"On another note, no rush here, but I've got a little problem finding a
part...   The original Cobra used a MGB steering rack, slightly modified.
The later cars were wider, i.e.  track 52 --> 56, so in their infinite wisdom,
the folks used a "tie rod extender", this looks like a male/female coupler for
the 9/16-18 threads, i.e. a wide
nut and a stud.

I had these made for use with the Flaming River MGB/Cobra rack (nice unit).
The racks were made to order via recent specs, the tie rod ends (shaft)
are longer than a MGB... Shelby's cars use a different tie rod end than the
MGB, i.e  identical  to what TRF sells with grease fittings, etc. EXCEPT the
cast portion is a little longer, like 1/2" or  1".    MGB is identical to TR6
by
the way and both families use the same threads (maybe AH and Jag, though the
ones I looked at differ completely in design).

What car used a MGB/TR6 steering rack with a wider track?   and thus longer
tie rod ends?

My guess is the "redesign" eliminated the worthless "extender" piece and
added some length to the rack
and used some commond tie rod end (slightly longer) to made a workable combo.

Have you noticed an identical, but longer cast TR6 style tie rod end used
anywhere?  Anyone widening
a TR chassis would have run into the same issues.   Sedan?"

Any ideas please contact  Roger Bolick <rgb@exact.com>

TIA
Bob Kramer