fot

trailer brakes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: trailer brakes
From: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:26:53 EDT
Looking for some advice from the "experts" out there.  I purchased a new
tandem axle car trailer that has electric brakes on both axles.  I'm going
nuts trying to get them adjusted correctly.  After trying to tweak them by
making road side adjustments coming home from a trip last weekend I gave up
and drove home with the controller turned down.  Since then I decided to
start from scratch, I jacked the trailer up and adjusted each wheels brake
until I could no longer turn the wheel. I then backed off each one 15
notches.  This should make them all equal right?  I took it out for a spin
last night and 1) the trailer seems to want to pull to the left when the
brakes are applied. 2) the tires on the right side of the trailer will lock
up first.  This seems conflicting to me.  Also when I walked back to the
trailer and touched the wheels the ones on the left felt cool to the touch
and I could definitely feel heat on both right side wheels.  This is where I
started.  What the heck am I missing here?  Any advice?

Marty