fot

Re: trailer brakes

To: BillB@bnj.com, MJSUKEY@cs.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: trailer brakes
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:04:16 EDT
In a message dated 07/26/2002 12:51:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
BillB@bnj.com writes:

> Straight up--take the trailer and rig to the biggest trailer service
> facility you can find in your area and have them go through it. It will
> cost you a tiny amount (at least it did for me) and the brakes will work
> properly. You've got too many factors in play to adjust them without lots
> of experience. You controller may not be properly leveled, the sensitivity
> might be too high, it could be installed improperly, it might be the wrong
> kind of controller for the weight you're carrying, your brakes might be
> worn/greasy/sticking/have a weak solenoid/bad electrical connection. The
> adjustment might not be right. Your karma might have run over your dogma.
>
> Trailers make everyone crazy.

Amen!

I tow my 24 foot Pace American enclosed trailer with my 1950 Chevrolet One
Ton Panel Truck, whose brakes are all '1950.'  Those damned trailer brakes
BETTER work, or it can be very exciting, especially if I must plan a stop at
the bottom of a hill.  We had trouble early on, which was remedied by adding
a 'period correct' hydrovac to the truck, and taking the trailer to a
reputable trailer shop for service.  I agree with the above...it'll be money
well spent.

When I start off on a tow, I sure test the set up by seeing if I can stop (or
slow) the free wheeling Panel Truck, but applying the trailer brakes by hand.
 If I cannot, I am not comfortable, and I know a fix is needed.

Bill Dentinger