fot

Re: Speed equation

To: mporter@zianet.com, fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: Re: Speed equation
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:33:21 EDT
In a message dated 08/08/2002 5:17:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
mporter@zianet.com writes:

> Actually, both of these equations overstate mileage by about 2-3%,
> depending upon the tire.  The most accurate equations for such (calculating
> speeds or determining pulse rates for electronic speedometers) use the
> rolling circumference of the tire, rather than the calculated
> circumference.  The rolling circumference is dependent upon the length of
> the tire patch at normal pressure, so the larger the footprint of the tire,
> usually the lower the rolling circumference.

Ah so!

How does one get a reasonably accurate rolling circumference?

We've taped tires with a soft tailor's tape to get a circumference, and
always came up with a number different from one produced with the
mathematical calculation.  But neither allows for a loaded foot print you say
comes into play.

I have to assume the tire and wheel would have to be loaded with the car's
weight.  So do you mark the side of the tire, lay a tape on the ground
parallel to the car, and then roll the car forward?

Bill

PS

Probably be better if I just went on estimating my speed.  Sometimes I get up
to 160 then.  I don't think I can do that with these calculations.