fot

Re: Speed equation

To: <mporter@zianet.com>, <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Speed equation
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:22:49 -0500
For once, everyone is correct. The two equations are identical, and will
indeed give slightly more accurate results if used with the "effective" tire
diameter (based on the actual tire distance a loaded tire travels in one
revolution).

It also turns out that the constants (188.5 divided by 63360, or 0.002975)
have nothing to do with tire brand. Their only purpose is to convert inches
to miles, and minutes to hours (and factor-in the constant PI to convert
diameter to circumference).

There are 63360 inches in a mile, and if you multiply the 60 minutes in an
hour times PI, you get 188.5.

My thanks to Bill for sending me a copy of his spreadsheet some time ago so
I could spend an otherwise perfectly good evening trying to figure this out

Jim Hill