fot

Re: Datsun 240A alfin brake drums

To: <tr3a@att.net>, "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Datsun 240A alfin brake drums
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:39:21 -0500
Jack Brooks wrote:

> What are the going prices for good, used Datsun 240A
> alfin brake drums?

I'm sure it depends on where and when you find them - and if you're willing
to do the removal and the machine work necessary to make them fit. I paid
$25 for a pair not too long ago.

> Also, I've been quoted $100 each for new, Italian made
> repro's.  Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm not familiar with those, but I know that TR Enterprises in the UK sells
"lightweight aluminium alloy, finned brake drums for the TR4 - 6", said to
be "specifically machined to suit the TR with the correct clearance to the
back plate and drilled for the retaining screws" #80 apiece. See:
http://www.trenterprises.com/tre_pages/engineering_services.htm#alfin

I've also seen an advertisement for Sebert Motor Car Co. Ltd.(R.R.#2,
Millbrook, Ontario LOA 1GO; 1-705-932-3158; sebertmotors@nexicom.net).
indicating that they're the makers of "superior quality 'Alfin-Type' Brake
Drums".

I ran across the web page for Carbotech in the UK
(http://www.carbotecheurope.com/discndrum.htm) advertising a
"high-performance drum . . . manufactured in Italy by BREMBO". These are
aluminum finned drums with a steel lining, listed at #55 per drum. (Perhaps
these are the drums you've been offered.)

Autospecialty (TRW) also offers an Alfin-type drum for the TR6. I don't know
the details, but they're available through normal parts houses. World
Discounts Auto Parts (http://www.wdautoparts.com/) has them for < $80.00.
The bad news is that Moss Motors' Peter Arakelian claims that they (and also
the Datsun drums) don't fit properly. There's a picture of these drums at:
http://www.vintageprep.com/drum.html

Or--if you REALLY want to get fancy--you can have them custom cast by
TypeCast Engineering Limited (Packington, Leicestershire, LE65 1TD, England;
01530 417375) Examples of finned drums they've made on their web page
(http://www.brakedrum.co.uk/) include the Healey Silverstone, Lagonda Rapier
and a Competition Wolseley Hornet, but they indicate that they've already
made up finned drums for Triumphs (models unspecified).

Jim Hill
The Runaway Train
Madison WI