fot

Re: Lifter Hardness Confusion

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>,
Subject: Re: Lifter Hardness Confusion
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:35:30 +1200
After seeing a variety of reprofiled cams fall apart within a few thousand
miles I had them all subsequently rehardened (a few hundred). To the best of
my knowledge the cam lobes are chill cast iron, and the lower you go down
the softer they get. As rehardened ones don't fail and cost about $3 why
isn't it done? and no they don't bend as there are no stresses left in them,
even six cylinder ones. Kent Cams, a well know reprofiler in the UK actually
claimed that one of their reworked cams failed as that was the one we sent
to them! and we obviously hadn't used cam lube - what a load of bollox. I've
never used cam lube and not had a single failure with a rehardened cam.
John Kipping