fot

Re: Accusump

To: <VANDECARR@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Accusump
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:27:26 -0500
Not true.

For example, my Spitfire race car engine. 4-quart sump, 3-quart Accusump. If
the Accusump is empty because the valve is open, I now have seven quarts of
oil in a system designed for four (WAY high on the dipstick, maybe the crank
is splashing in it, and foamy oil does not lubricate well). All you'd be
"draining from the engine" at start is what is not supposed to be there in
the first place. And the extra oil is performing no useful function, it is
just over-filling the sump.

OTOH, when you have it charged, at start first you open the valve, then hit
the key, You have indeed just increased your oil volume in the engine from 4
to 7, but the new oil is up in the galleys, in the bearings, etc., not down
in the sump. It is performing its intended function of oiling the engine
BEFORE you start it. I have 30-40 pounds of oil pressure before I start.
This helps engine life. And as soon as you hit the key and build engine oil
pressure, it goes back into the Accusump. So yes, you do leave the valve
open. That's how it is supposed to work.

You do not close the valve until just before you shut off the engine. You do
that precisely so you can have pressure in the Accusump for the next start.

Otherwise, why have an Accusump? And why would it even need a valve?

And again -- my Accusump gauge goes to 150 pounds. I typically run about 80
in the engine. That's what's in the Accusump when the valve is closed. Sun
heat is NOT going to raise that pressure significantly that it will go
beyond design limitations. Won't even come close. Hell, when the engine is
running, that oil is twice as hot as sun heat would make it on a warm day.
That was 180-degree or hotter oil you put IN that Accusump when you shut the
car off. It's cooled considerably to less than half that when you turn it on
again. Trust me, the Accusump should then be able to handle it sun-heating
up to even 120 or so.

--Rocky Entriken