fot

Re: crank hardening

To: SpiwakD@aol.com
Subject: Re: crank hardening
From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 19:52:47 EST
Make sure they really check the inside radius of the #4 rod journal: I've
found a lot of cracked ones, but danged few solid cores.

Once I found a solid core, I had it shot peened and nitrited. I also cut the
scroll for BF&E's rear seal kit (works good), then balanced the whole deal,
and finally used the harmonic damper. She's smooth as silk and should last a
while.

Rod bearings needed replacing at 10k miles: clean and not scratched or
pitted, but the white metal on the top shell was gone on the thrust surface.
Crank journals looked like new.

Steve & Janet Hedke
"Moss Motors Team Scrappy"
Great Race #45, 1957 Triumph TR3