fot

Re: crank hardening

To: SpiwakD@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: crank hardening
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 18:37:19 -0600
I have my cranks nitrided by a company in Michigan that nitrides about 250
cranks a week. They do all of Callies, Crowers, etc so it seems that they
should know what they are doing. They use a gas ion nitriding process which
imparts the nitrided surface through a gaseous atmosphere. The crank is
heated to about 400 deg, sufficiently below the temp at which other grain
transformations or hardening characteristics take place.

I can't say for a fact that the nitriding helps eliminate crank cracking
since I know of at least one nitrided crank that broke, although the
failure could have been partly attributed to another cause. It certainly
helps with wear, and my nitrided camshaft shows no wear even after five
years of use.

The last crank I did was $150. PACK IT CAREFULLY. Insure it. UPS lost one
of mine. ouch.

Contact info:

Advance Heat Treat Corp.
1625 Rose Street