fot

Re: Silicone Valve Cover Gasket

To: rocky@tri.net, jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Re: Silicone Valve Cover Gasket
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:58:16 EST
In a message dated 11/14/02 5:26:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, rocky@tri.net
writes:

<< P.S. I do like, "It never seems to leak badly."  Hmmm...  Does that mean a
little leaking is not bad?  : ) >>

I am not sure if the gasket leaks at all.  I just assumed that it might since
this is an unorthodox method of assembly.  I build the entire engine with
nothing more than oil on all of the gaskets, except the head gasket.  You
better spray it with Permatex or coat it with some Mordy.  The other gaskets
seem to slide around, find their best seat, and make a good seal.  Many of
them can then be reused.

I copied this method from a US Air mechanic in the 60's.  He successively
built and raced a TR-3, and then went to the Run-offs in a Morgan, when this
event was held in California.  He then dabbled with a formula car, and
finally spent the next 20 some years building, racing, and winning with a 450
cubic inch stock car.

We can't blame him for any of the plane crashes.  He retired years ago when
the company started to force all of the employees to drain their tanks into a
bottle.  His sideline welding business is still active.