fot

TR-4 accelerator linkage shaft

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-4 accelerator linkage shaft
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:28:16 -0600
Friends,
    I am disassembling an early (1961) TR-4 (CT511L) prior to bead
blasting the tub and frame before putting it back together to race.  The
car has been a race car for at least the last 20 or 30 years (as far as
I know) but "needs work".  The accelerator pedal and shaft is one piece
and the shaft was bent (probably on some prior engine
removal/installation).  Therefore I cannot get the left hand bushing off
to get the plastic bearings off to remove the shaft and pedal.  I see in
the Moss catalog that they show a two piece assembly with a coupling.  I
am thinking of drilling and pining the pedal side using the existing
bushing as a coupling and then sawing the shaft in two for removal.  I
don't think I can get the shaft straight enough with it in the car to
remove the bushing.
    Does anyone have a spare accelerator shaft and pedal piece?  Or a
spare two piece assembly with the bushing used as a coupling as shown in
Moss?  Any other ideas on how to get it out and re-install?  Thanks for
your help.
    By the way, I built a 36' by 48' workshop this Spring and Summer to
work on the race car and my other cars as well as my sons cars.  (Should
be able to make some decent progress now!)  I installed a two post hoist
made by AutoLifters of Wichita, Kansas.  A friend of mine from
Manitowoc, who has one and installed his, helped me install mine.  The
hardest part was getting it off of the truck!  It's great and highly
recommended.  Building the shop with a 12 foot ceiling to allow for the
hoist was well worth it.  The best part is just walking over to the tool
chest for a tool instead of crawling out from under the car and then
getting the tool and then crawling back underneath, usually to discover
you got the wrong tool!
    Thanks again for any help/advice. I have learned a tremendous amount
from you folks just "listening".  Hopefully, some day I will be able to
"pay back" by contributing.

Tim Murphy
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin