fot

RE: 2003 International Triumph Challenge press release

To: "'WEmery7451@aol.com'" <WEmery7451@aol.com>, lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: RE: 2003 International Triumph Challenge press release
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:37:01 -0800
You guys must be using a different kind of rain tires than I do. When I
run Dunlop rains on the Radical, I have to hop from puddle to puddle if
the track starts to dry, just to keep them from turning to slag with all
the holding capability of a greased Nike. I tried to keep going (the rain
stopped and the track started to dry) for one lap with the racing line dry
at PIR last year and ruined both rear tires. The big choice (rains or
slicks) is always made at the last possible second, and unless there is
heavy rain actually falling, or visible moving towards the track, I almost
always wind up dashing back to the pits just before the start to switch to
slicks. I can't imagine running a race on a set of rains on a dry course.

On the other hand, after a hard day of sliding Peyote around on Hoosier
Vintage TDs my tires look just a teeny bit ratty. But it doesn't
matter--they just keep on working about the same. I don't know why they
don't seem to harden up like most tires do, but they lasted me all season,
and they're probably going to be good for most of next year.