fot

Didn't make my annual Thanksgiving plea for help, but...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Didn't make my annual Thanksgiving plea for help, but...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:58:29 -0700
... Christmas is coming.

In my town, one of the last large employers is imploding (my own
employer, as it turns out). Our own employment has dropped from a peak
of 1150 in March, 1998, to 650 in June 2000, to 320 last spring. Now,
it's about 30. When I delivered some Thanksgiving turkeys and other food
to a local church activist, he could barely have a word to me because of
the people calling him needing food. It was, for me, a sign of the
times, a sign of hard times for many in my community.

It's now winter. Those who minister to the poor in this country are
hard-pressed. No matter how you feel about charities, they are now the
front lines of defense against the death and diminution of the least of
us.

I believe it is in Will and Ariel Durant's _The History of Civilization_
where they write, "the measure of a civilization is the degree to which
it cares for the least of its citizens."

Those of us who can afford this hobby can also afford to feed a few of
the poor in our midst, can afford to buy a toy for a child at Christmas.

This Christmas, please remember the least amongst us.

Cheers, and thanks.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.