fot

Re: Nomination

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: Nomination
From: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:54:52 -0700
Thanks Dave and Robert for the nominations.

My TR6 is a '72 that I have had ever since I was in high school. I took
about 10 years doing a body-off restoration then promptly started taking
pieces back off as I began to run it on the track. It is a track only car
now.

The engine is balanced and running 10:1 with roller rockers, .875 tappets,
chrome-moly p-rods, waisted valves and race cam (with bearings). I have
triple webbers, aluminum flywheel, aluminum radiator (from 944, good fit),
electric fan, spiral impeller waterpump with underdrive pulley. I just
implemented an Accusump knockoff with aerospace surplus parts (details
available if anyone is interested). The fenders are fibreglass and I made
the hood from fiberglass and honeycomb core using the old hood. The car is
3.5" off the ground with cut down comp springs in front and bilstien
coilovers from swing arm to roll cage. I have an airdam (and the mold). The
rear wheels are spaced outwards, I am running slotted aluminum wheels 15x6
with 205-60-15 Yokos. I have a J type OD on the trans, and a fuel cell,
battery in the trunk. I run a rollbar in front and none in back. Braking
through dual Howe master cyls with balance bar, larger than stock wheel cyls
on rear and aluminum drums. Car handles well, top end speed has been a
problem. Love to dog vettes and NSX's through the corners but need
binoculars to see them on the straightways.

Next mods include racing windscreen, close ratio gearset, aluminum front
hubs, more rollcage, 15x7 wheels and Hoosiers, 300ZX diff, cold air
induction, higher CR.

I started running the car on the tracks in Phoenix about 5 years ago in
street groups. I shook the flywheel off a couple of years ago and replaced
it with aluminum. After the rebuild I promptly seized the camshaft due to
oil starvation. The configuration above is a new block. I am looking to race
in vintage or other groups as I get the car dialed in.

Things I am looking to buy:
15x7 Panasports
Racing windscreen
close ratio gears (I have heard there is a Vitesse set that fits?)
Engine front plate

Things I need technical help with:
Oil pressure (I remade the rotor and toleranced the pump for .001 endfloat
and ported the block but still get  only 40 psi! Pump may be shot)
Close ratio gears

I own a machine shop and would like to know if there are potential buyers
for improvement pieces, ie. aluminum hubs or webber cold air induction.
Making a few pieces instead of one-offs would spread the cost!

Nice talking to fellow enthsiats!
Mark