fot

Re: Is there a need for better identification of FOT emails ?

To: <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Is there a need for better identification of FOT emails ?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:34:44 -0600
Nope. They are indeed so "sophisticated," in that they not only spoof
addresses, as well as creating mix-n-match addresses, but they also steal
random subject headers from other e-mail traffic in someone's mailbox. They
get to us because the infected person has fot@team.net in his address book.

However, brilliant Bradakis has set up Team.Net so it strips all
attachments, including (especially!) those nasty viruses. So we should not
get viruses through FOT mail. We get them because some of us talk personally
to each other, have each other's addresses in our address books, and get
them directly that way. That thwarts viruses sent to the FOT address. We
just have to deal with the meaningless e-mails. Treat 'em as spam and
delete.

(One thing, disable that feature that automatically puts senders' addresses
in the address book. I wouldn't want all those addresses in my address book
anyway! No one's in mine that I do not periodally send specific mail to).

--Rocky