fot

Re: Restating question about old TR7/TR8 race series.

To: chusmann@execpc.com
Subject: Re: Restating question about old TR7/TR8 race series.
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:43:59 EST
In a message dated 12/18/2002 7:27:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chusmann@execpc.com writes:

> The SCCA has never required fuel cells for Showroom Stock classes; in the
> 70's and early 80's this would have been Production before the Production
> class rules lost site of the intent of the class.

       The SCCA IT series also did not require fuel cells until the 1990s.
SCCA lost site of its rules on that series as well. I seem to recall that TR7
or TR8 were eligible for IT, but I do not recall racing against any in the
1990s.

> However the Production cars at that time would not have been able to use
> flares or alternate body panels.  Everything supposedly was to have been
> stock or manufacturers option (some dealer options always got past
> tech).  This became extremely blurred in the early to mid-80's.

       My understanding has been that fender flares started appearing on produ
ction cars in the early 1970s. It would be interesting to know specifically
when the SCCA started allowing full substitution of fiberglass panels on
production racecars. They certainly seems to be in use by the 1990s.

       Thanks for the feedback. Cary