fot

Re: TR Cam Lobes & Cam Followers

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>, "Wes Dayton"
Subject: Re: TR Cam Lobes & Cam Followers
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:49:42 -0500
When I restored my TR3A from 1987 to 1990, I re-did the engine with 80,350
miles on it.  Some of the cam followers (they were all original from new)
had the circular spiral pattern on them.  A few were worn with a groove as
much as 1/32" deep at the center.  To me, this indicated these hadn't been
rotating, at least for some time.  I replaced the grooved ones with new
ones.

I lapped the bottoms of the cam followers flat (even the new ones were flat)
and put it all together again.  "TRusty"  has been running fine with this
set-up for the last 12 summers during which time, I drove it more than
70,000 miles of street and highway (fairly high speed and long distance)
touring.

I never took them out again to see how they look.

My cam is the original (it's never been out of the block) and it has a
little more than 150,000 miles on it.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada