fot

RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Relief Valve

To: "'MARK J WEATHERS'" <markjwea@email.msn.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Relief Valve
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 07:21:06 -0800
I can't speak directly to TR6 but this is a common problem with many
motorcycle and car engines. I don't think I'd bother lapping--a minor leak
won't relieve that much oil, though it might not be ideal at idle with the
oil hot. I doubt sufficient lapping is the cause of your problem. It's
possible that you've got a little piece of swarf (or perhaps dervis) under
the plunger. I've also seen plungers get stuck in their hole, both from
foreign junk in the port jamming the plunger into the full relief position
or clearance problems between the plunger and the bore--which might be the
case here. A lot of parts like this are made "sloppy" to reduce the
likelihood of jamming from grit. An extreme example is float needles on
carbs, which are never made as round plungers anymore, but are square,
with the plunger being located in the bore by the edges of the square.

Unless the shaft wear on the old plunger is heavy galling that might snag
in the bore, it probably would work fine. I'd try sticking the old part
back in, with the stiff spring.