fot

Re: TR6 Oil Pressure Relief Valve

To: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Pressure Relief Valve
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:23:05 +1300
A correctly working oil pump will provide huge amounts of pressure, working
out low pressure readings is a process of elimination. First of all I would
put all original stuff in place without any spin on conversions or oil
coolers and check the paper oil filter isn't collapsing. Check the pressure
at 2000 rpm, cold it should be at least 75PSI. Fit a washer or two to space
the oil pressure relief valve spring and check the pressure has gone up,
(I've seen 120PSI, it is OK for a short time). The car then needs to be
driven for at least ten miles to get the oil up to temperature and then the
pressure should be 40-60PSI at 2000 rpm. As long as the engine isn't revved
above say 2500 rpm then low oil pressure isn't an issue for testing purposes
and no damage will result (as long as there is some oil pressure). Things I
have come across resulting in low pressure are collapsed oil filters, oil
pump rotor too short, sticking pressure relief valve, incorrect size
bearings/crank (I've even seen a packaged set of bearings with different
sizes), loose main bearing cap bolts, scored main bearings with crud from an
engine rebuild
John Kipping