fot

RE: State of the Onion speech

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: State of the Onion speech
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:01:14 -0800
Jack W. Drews wrote :

> I am enthusiastic about everything that President Bush said in his speech
> last night.
>
> However, there is one subject that gives me pause for reflection -- the
> Hydrogen Powered Car initiative. Some things to consider:
>
> 1.  In the future, what leaks out of Triumphs?

Oil, just like always.

There are some fundamental flaws in the Hydrogen car initiative, not least
of which is where does all that hydrogen come from ?  Unlike petroleum, free
hydrogen does not occur naturally, it has to be separated from something
else, usually water, which takes energy, usually electricity.  Where do we
get electricity ?  Burning fossil fuels (coal, petroleum) is where we get
most of it today ... and coal is starting to get scarce here ... so guess
what, we're going to wind up burning petroleum to make the electricity that
makes the hydrogen that we burn in our cars; and losing energy at every step
... which means the Hydrogen car will increase our dependence on oil, not
decrease it.

Randall