fot

RE: Killer Spitfire

To: "'GRMTim@aol.com'" <GRMTim@aol.com>, mjb@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Killer Spitfire
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:52:38 -0800
Yeah, some enthusiasts are a judgmental bunch. Fifteen years ago my TR3
had a heavily breathed on Toyota 2TG motor--twin cam, 2500 cc, 10.3/1
compression, mikuni solex sidedraft carbs, five speed trans. Still got the
motor in my shed. Sure made for a nice running TR3, it was a reliable
daily driver--in rain, snow, mud and ice. Even had a good heater (also
Toyota). But every time I opened the hood some guy with an "original"
ratted out rubber bumper, reliable as a rabbit's romance, primer on
primer, greasy motored, duct tape upholstery Spitfire would puke. And his
buddy with a ten point, driven to the trailer and back, 98 point garage
queen would feign apoplexy. Gave me a big chuckle every time, but that's
the kind of pervert I am. I'd still be driving it but I decided to go
vintage racing with it.

On the other hand, an excellent racer I know, who drives his big Healy to
the track pulling a trailer with his racing tires on it, kicks a fair
amount of tail and drives back home thought it was cool in a weird kind of
way. That's the nice thing about the world--the people whose criticism
you'd care about generally don't.