fot

Re: Altinator

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "'Mike Munson'"
Subject: Re: Altinator
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:18:21 -0600
No generator on my race Spitfire. Belt between crank pulley and water pump
only.

I just get the belt on loose behind the pulleys, get it slotted in the crank
pulley, then put a screwdriver under the belt as I turn it onto the fan
pulley.

Helps if the sparkplugs are out of the head -- lack of compression lets the
crank and its pulley turn more easily.

Sometimes when it gets really reluctant, I have done it by kicking the
engine over with the remote starter button. Plugs out, of course, so nothing
fires. Just punch the button (or key), don't hold it down. And make sure
you're clear of the fan blades. Also, be sure you know which way it will
turn first.

The belt is the tightest one I can force onto the pulleys.  What's tight in
that context still has a little play when the engine is running.

--Rocky Entriken