fot

Re: Retorquing head gaskets

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Retorquing head gaskets
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:19:57 -0800
Not being an engineer by profession...

Steve:  you have a better engineering mind than I...  So, if you are
befuddled then I am concerned....

I'll give you my thoughts... the very definition of "re-torquing" indicates
that the original torque/clamping force has changed.  Why would it
change....    I suspect that composition gaskets of anykind may "settle" and
compress.   Maybe as the engine heats up and expands the only thing that can
actually change is the gasket thickness and hence it gets squeezed/deformed
to a new thickness never to completely come back to original.
Not so with copper HG's.  I have never re-torqued with copper.
M. Dunst
Gasket Works USA, LLC
626.358.1616 voice/page
626.358.7971 fax