fot

Re: Fly Wheel Protection Question

To: marshall@nefcom.net, rbolton@chartbank.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fly Wheel Protection Question
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:26:55 EST
In a message dated 3/25/03 2:26:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
marshall@nefcom.net writes:

<< Hi Rich,  I hope they're not a gimmick because that's what I'm using... it
 wraps the whole transmission and supposedly will contain all the bits
 inside.  The problem I see with the steel and aluminum shields is that they
 only protect you from bits flying straight out toward your feet and legs.
 I've heard stories, which may just be urban legends, about bits ricocheting
 off the track under the car and coming back up through the floor. >>

I used one of these wraps for years, but it was a pain to install by jamming
the tunnel over top of it, and it also gradually gained about ten pounds from
oil and grease (along with burn marks from the exhaust).  I finally gave up
on the wrap, and welded some plate metal on the outside of the metal
transmission cover in the vicinity of my feet.  Sure, if the aluminum
flywheel and small Tilton clutch can explode with enough force to pass
through the housing, bounce off of the asphalt, blast back through the sheet
metal floor (maybe through the seat), it could get me.  You would thing that
some of the shrapnel would bury in the asphalt rather than bounce back, and I
believe that a lot of other things may get me first.