fot

RE: First report on Dunlop 205-60-15 race tires, race at TWS

To: "'rgk'" <rgk@flash.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: First report on Dunlop 205-60-15 race tires, race at TWS
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:07:08 -0700
Yeah, I ran Yokahamas fairly hard too, but as I recall after I got the
camber closer to being right for radials (about 3 to 4 degrees) I went way
softer. I think what was going on was that at low camber (1 to 2 degrees)
the higher pressure pushes the contact patch outwards and that's
helpful--it's kind of like rubber camber, the center of the tire bulges
and creates a wedge-shaped contact patch from center to outside edge. But
when you get the camber right you start riding on just the outer edge of
the tire and need to run the tire softer to spread it back across the
tire.  My first yokohamas corded out in the center. After I tweaked the
TR3's suspension and ran them softer they wore out from the outside edge
to past the center and lasted longer.

Got to get a set of those Dunlops. They sound good. Too bad they won't let
us run them at the Monterey Historics--then again, they do a nice job of
equalizing the field with tire choices: Nobody gets any traction.