fot

Re: Accusump operation

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Accusump operation
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:52:58 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 7:26 AM
Subject: Accusump operation

> Questions for those of you who have an Accusump:
>
> I'd like to know what you see on the Accusump pressure gauge in relation
> what you see on your oil pressure gauge.
>
> 1. When you start your engine -- how low does the pressure shown on the
> Accusump gauge go?

BEFORE I start my engine, I open the Accusump and the pressure drops to
about half, and the pressure gauge from the engine rises to about the same
amount -- 30-40 pounds. They equalize. I wait until they do equalize --
engine pressure gauge quits rising -- before I start.

> When the engine starts, how long does it take for the
> pressure on the Accusump gauge to reach its highest level?

Not long. About as quick as it takes for the engine to spool up full
pressure, the Accusump spools up right with it.

> During this
> period, does the Accusump gauge read the same as your oil pressure gauge?

Yes. Note, however, you PRE-LOAD- the Accusump pressure with air. That's
what that little air nipple is for right near the gauge. With the Accusump
full, you want about as much air pre-load as you normally run in oil
pressure.

When I have an empty Accusump AND an unpressurized engine, for example (e.g.
Accusump out of the car for whatever reason), what I do is fill the Accusump
with 3 quarts of oil with the piston all the way back and no air pressure.
Then I close off the valve, pressurize the other end to about 80 psi, and
install it. Ready to go for that first startup.

> 2. While running, does the Accusump gauge read the same as your oil
> pressure gauge?

Yes. With the Accusump open, it is effectively part of the engine oiling
system and should have the same pressure. This presupposes it was pre-loaded
with air pressure matching desired engine oil pressure, of course (without
preload the Accusump will still have the engine pressure, it just won't have
anything pushing the oil out). .

When I come off the track/course, I usually rev the engine a bit to pump oil
pressure to max, generally about 75-80 pounds, and close the Accusump valve.
The Accusump gauge then reads the same as what the oil pressure gauge on the
dash read. That pressure is held in the Accusump until the next start
(whether 10 minutes later or 10 weeks later).

> Thanks!
>
> uncle jack

Anytime. I recommend Accusump heartily to anyone who can legally use it. It
is the best and cheapest engine insurance I know. They market it as
something that can save your engine if you lose oil pressure. IMHO, its
greatest benefit is putting pressure into the engine BEFORE you start it.

--Rocky Entriken