fot

Wheel and Tire Changeover Qestions

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel and Tire Changeover Qestions
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:29:25 EDT
       The purpose of this email is a gather some of FOT experience regarding
the conversion of racecars over from SCCA type specifications allowing slicks
to the thread tire specification that is typical of historic/vintage cars.

       We are currently considering with wheels/tires on TR7V8 that was most
recently run in the Canadian GT Championship series. It has wide 15 inch
wheels with large slicks. It handles wonderfully, like a high power Spitfire.

       1.The first question is what types of setup adjustments where needed
by those of you who have personally made this conversion and what was the net
impact on overall handling?

        2. The second question is whether there are some threaded tires out
there that might be used that have a physical structure more like a slick and
not require a major setup change. (I would like to keep open the opportunity
to harrass unsuspecting Porsches on test days)

       3. I am curious as to whether there has been any observed mellowing of
historic/vintage groups to allow these to participate on a exhibition basis
on slicks or at least without removing the flares.

Cary