fot

NHIS Race Report and....

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: NHIS Race Report and....
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:07:33 -0400
So far the suggestions from the list about the failure of my
distributor driving gear (the gear that drives off of the cam shaft)
have pointed to the oil pump.  The suggestions were that either the
shaft was bent or that the rotors jammed.  Another suggestion was that
the cam bearings may be too worn and that has allowed the gear mesh to
be too far off, and yet another was perhaps drag in the valve train.

I pulled the oil pump last night and it looks great. (I was hoping
that the pump was it, so that I could have a definitive cause of the
problem)  Shaft is straight, rotors fine and clearances good.  I have
not pulled the cam yet.

When I found the broken tangs on the distributor dog drive previously,
it looked like a clean break and I retrieved the tangs that were still
in the slots.  Maybe a chip had fallen into the gears and that caused
the failure? Or a piece of the broken roll pin (that holds the dog on)
fell in?  One of the teeth has  a big dent on the back side of it,
looking like something was in there, or it originally had a void in
it.  The gear was an original old part.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Joe(B)