fot

Alternators and Master Cutout Switches

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternators and Master Cutout Switches
From: "Steve Benford Jr." <sbracing@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:38:23 -0400
Amici:

Is it possible to wire in a master cutout switch that will shut down
the electrical power completely?  I know there are master cutout
switches designed for use with alternators.  How are these wired into
the system?  My first attempt at a wiring diagram will have the car
still running but not charging the battery when the master is turned
off.

I have heard that if the wired incorrectly, shuting down power at the
master will cause a power spike from the alternator and fry all of the
sensitive components in the alternator and electronic ignition.  Sort
of like removing a connection from the battery when the car is running -
 which is suppose to be a big no-no on modern day autos.

Thanks and Thumbs Up
Steve Benford Jr.