fot

RE: Alternators and Master Cutout Switches

To: "'Steve Benford Jr.'" <sbracing@execpc.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Alternators and Master Cutout Switches
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 07:21:34 -0700
Most modern-day electronics are designed to handle reasonable
faults--losing power suddenly is certainly a reasonable fault. Really all
you need is to open the output wire of the alternator and open the battery
circuit. You can do that with any of the cutout switches that have a heavy
pole for the battery disconnect, and a second lighter pole for the
alternator disconnect.

You won't get a power spike delivered to the electronics from the
alternator if it's disconnected. You might get a higher voltage delivered
to the internal regulator of a one-wire alternator, but that's what it's
there for and they can handle it.