fot

RE: Oils

To: "'N197TR4@cs.com'" <N197TR4@cs.com>, BRITPAC@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oils
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 08:35:28 -0700
I suspect that any oil company chemist could make a good impression about
oils. But the thing I thought was remarkable was that he was very specific
about what Redline oils NOT to use. He didn't recommend the low initial
weight oils (like 5w50) because the plasticizers they need to add don't
necessarily provide sufficient viscosity at higher RPM. He also said to be
very careful about diff and transmission oil choices--dog boxes can use
very slippery oils, but sychro gearboxes can't, and Salisbury diffs need
antifoaming and (as I recall) lots of sulfur.

The reason why most gear lube stinks is sulfur compounds make a great
high-pressure lubricant.

That last bit was a random neuron firing, I think.