fot

RE: Oil - what kind? for A-type OD

To: "'Chuck Arnold'" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil - what kind? for A-type OD
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:11:21 -0700
Surprising that you're having a problem with that transmission--it might
just be the one you've got. I had a Toyota 2TG motor in my TR3 with a five
speed that shifted flawlessly. Maybe you just need to take another trip to
the junkyard, and have whatever you get sorted out by a good transmission
ship before you drop it in.

I got my engine and transmission from one of the outfits that imports
drivetrains from crushed cars in Japan. The Japanese laws get older cars
off the road quickly, so the drivetrains are very low mileage. There's a
big company that handles these engine in Seattle, though I don't recall
the name (I think it's Northsomething). Any of the rice-burner slammer
fast-and-furious wannabee guys could surely tell you.

When I tore down my 2TG motor (a domestic version of the 2TC with DOHC
heads and two mikuni-solex sidedrafts) prior to installation the parts
looked virtually new. The plain bearings still had almost all the break in
coating on them. I'd bet the engine had less than 20K miles on it. I just
closed it back up and stuck it in.