fot

RE: Dunlop tires

To: "'Bob Kramer'" <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: RE: Dunlop tires
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:31:20 -0700
So how did you like the tires? Are they Radials? What static camber are
you at? I'd be looking for the middle temperature to be close to either
the inside or outside edge, whichever is hotter. Your inside edge should
naturally be hotter because it gets better cooling and if you have
sufficient negative camber it's the edge that does all the heavy lifting
down the straights.

As I recently learned the hard way, you don't want to set camber by tire
temperature unless you've got a skidpad or a track with no appreciable
straights. But you can trust tire temperature to tell when you're
over/under inflated.

All the same, if they are radials they will tend to like a lot of
camber--like 3 to 4 degrees. You'll corner well in the high-g turns,
though not in the fiddly stuff and your lower rolling resistance down the
straight will give higher top speed. I've found high camber increases
understeer in slow turns and decreases it in fast turns. I don't know why.

I'm trying to sort out what I'm learning accounting for the differences
between my high-downforce Radical on slicks and minimal downforce Peyote
on treaded Hoosiers.