fot

Re: Dunlop tires

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Dunlop tires
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:49:58 -0500
Report No. 2 on Dunlop 205-60-15 tires:

I think I may be the only one running theses tires so far, at least the only
one talking about them. The tire is slightly shorter than the Hoosiers and a
little wider. I get a minor "hot rub" that has burned the paint on the
"apex" of the stock fender flare in teh front. The Hoosiers also did this.
My lap times are a little slower than the Hoosiers, but I think there is a
lot more in the tires than I've found.

May 17th.: Conditions ranged from 70 to 80 degrees and, slight breeze and
sunny all weekend (it doesn't get any prettier anywhere, anytime). I set out
with the goal of setting the pressures to attain an even temp across the
tires, and front to back. Neither was accomplished.

15 min qualifier, out at 22 FT and 21 RR, in 28 LF, 27.5 RF & 25 LR, 25.5 RR
15 min race, set at 21.5 LF/22RF/22LR-RR, in 28LF, 27.5 RF & 25.5 LR, 26 RR
20 min race, set at 22 LF/22.5RF/23LR-RR, in 28.5LF, 27.5 RF & 27 LR, 27.5
RR

Raising the pressures in the rear did not change the relative temp.
relationship with the center.  Both inside and outside temps remained 4 to 8
degrees cooler than the middle. This is the same as what I got when I ran
31.5 psi in both rears in April. Accordingly, I think I need to drop the
rear pressures even more. The problem is that the fronts are quite a bit
hotter than the rears (max 162 to 139). I didn't change the front much
because they were close to what I was looking for. I started with a slightly
hotter inside of the tires and cooler outside compared to the center and
adding or dropping a 1/2 pound didn't change that relationship. In April I
ran at 32 psi up front and had  9 to 15 degree drop off to either side.
Again the conclusion I have come to is lower the pressures even more. I
think I have the camber right as I am 2-3 degrees from inside to center. I
would appreciate any advice on this as the advice from the seller, Roger
Kraus, was pressures in the 28-32 psi range. My lap times did not improve at
all over the weekend and I'm wondering what to try next.

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com