fot

RE: Rich mixture on 2&3

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rich mixture on 2&3
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:20:17 -0700
> I'm probably showing how little I know about SU carbs, but don't they have
> a separate cold start mixing device that feeds the center cylinders almost
> exclusively, or is that just on the old Jaguars.

Old Jaguars, and some models of SU (HD8 ?), did indeed have what amounted to
a separate carburetor just for cold start.  Some TR7s had this too.
However, Simon said he has the HS6 SUs, where the cold start provision
consists of opening the main jet and the throttle plate.  Mixture
distribution should not be affected.  And I believe, even on the Jag carbs,
it should only be upset while the cold start device is activated.  Once the
choke is released, it's not _supposed_ to pass air or fuel.

Randall