fot

TR3 from Hell

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 from Hell
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:40:51 -0500
I finally discovered the "real" problem with my TR3.  It's possessed by
demons.  I was telling someone a while back that in the 1 1/2 years I've
owned the car, I've been through every mechanical component except for
the carbs and the differential.  After installing a late TR4A manifold
and rebuilt HS6 carbs, my son, Tom, and I went out to Hallet to work on
tuning the carbs.  We were dialing in the mixture and trying overcome a
rear carb delivery problem during left turns.  Tom was doing most of the
driving.  He said it started to handle badly and lose traction or maybe
had a slipping clutch.  Of course the problem turned out to be the
differential.  We haven't torn into it yet, so I don't know what has
happened, but we are now getting power to only one wheel.  This causes
rather bizarre handling.  We didn't hear anything break and there are no
grinding noises coming from the rear.  Anyway, Mosport is looking
doubtful for us.  Even if I had all the parts I need, I don't know if
I've got the energy and don't like the idea of traveling 2500 miles to
race on untested equipment.  I got enough experience working on the car
at the track last year at Mid-Ohio.
Larry Young