fot

Re: Limited slip Diff questions - part II

To: "Coffey, Jack" <CoffeyJack@bfusa.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Limited slip Diff questions - part II
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:46:23 -0500
Sounds like something's broke!

Stub axle should not move laterally. Assuming the flange is tightly bolted
to the diff case. Those bolts do come loose sometimes. Stock on mine were
Allen-head bolts. Replaced with Gr.8 hex-head and lockwashers. Not a
fail-safe solution, but better than stock. Besides, I can pull the torque
tighter with an end-wrench than with an Allen wrench.

My stubs happen to be out just now, so I went and measured the movement. One
moves maybe 1/32", the other maybe 1/16".

How about the bearing? Is it the right width? A too-narrow bearing would
permit more lateral movement in the flange.

--Rocky