fot

RE: Brake Proportioning system installed oops!

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@cox.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Brake Proportioning system installed oops!
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:07:12 -0700
I don't know about the ones you have, but proportioning valves in general
keep 10# pressure on the back brakes to take up some spring travel. Many
brake master cylinders have a compensating valve in them that keeps 2#
pressure in the line to take up some of the seal lip retraction for the
calipers. When you have everything right this is very nice--no pedal
motion before the brake actuates. If it's a bit too much you'll get drag.

Clutch master cylinders have no compensation because you don't want to
keep pressure on the throwout bearing or on the thrust washers for the
crank. If what you are feeling is a little drag then you have just a
little too much compensation. The purpose of compensating pressure is to
keep the shoes or pucks close to the drum or disk. I think you're better
off with no rear drum pressure and just keep your brakes well adjusted.
Front disks usually work very well with two pounds--no drag, just less
pumping.

It's a matter of taste I guess, but I don't really like proportioning
valves--they are too much of a compromise.