fot

OD gasket sealant

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD gasket sealant
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:49:22 -0600
Amici,

The J-type overdrive in Susan's spitfire has been fighting a losing battle with
oil seepage through the gasket joints.

This overdrive was rebuilt a couple of years ago and has been in use for about
one race season.  The overdrive itself works fine, but enough oil seeps out and
then leaks onto the exhaust pipe to cause smoke too flow from under the car.
Enough so that she has been black flagged once it.

I retightened all of the joints and that helped to a certain extent but the
real solution would be to dismantle and reseal all of the joints.

So my question is, what type of gasket sealant should be used on these joints?
I'm not sure what was used orginally but it looks like the non-hardening type
of permatex.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Brad
1957 TR3 vintage racer