fot

RE: Stuck piston

To: "'kas kastner'" <kaskas@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Stuck piston
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:13:03 -0700
Now that I've looked at the piston closer, there's erosion in the area of
the combustion chamber. There's a fairly sharp line the shape of the
chamber, and the aluminum is rough. It looks like some strange form of
detonation. The edge of the piston in that area is rounded and eroded--it
let the heat get right to the ring. Probably what I'm seeing is three days
of racing with mild detonation in the hottest cylinder. I should have
spent the extra three bucks a gallon and run race gas. Oh well, I saved at
least thirty bucks towards the $500 worth of parts I'll need.