fot

Car Fire

To: members@dctra.org, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Fire
From: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:34:41 -0700
Well crap!

This afternoon taking the TR-3 out for a short run I was getting off the
202 Freeway at Rural Road when the car sputtered pulling up to the light
and as I checked the gauges the person in the car next to me said I was on
fire!

I grabbed the fire extinguisher and the key for the hood. I managed to get
the hood release enough to stick the nozzle of the extinguisher under the
hood and knocked the fire down some before the retardant was expended.  I
called 911 and got the fire department rolling and by the time they arrived
(and took their sweet time un rolling their hoses) the fire had slowly
built back up. They got it knocked down and now that I am back home with
the car in the driveway I can begin to make some assessments.

At first inspection here is what I see.

1. Need a new windshield (I have a spare!)
2. Right front fender has paint charred to the metal but I do not see or
feel any buckling
3. Front apron seems to be fine
4. Hood has a small depression above the front carb - probably were the
fire was hottest. I have a spare hood so if the original hood needs to be
replaced that's taken care off.
5. Obviously the carbs will need to be rebuilt replaced as will the front
wiring harness, rubber lines, radiator catch tank.
6. The cool-tek wrap on the headers looks to be in good shape as does the
intake manifold.
7. The battery and the custom wiring that Bob Schaller did on the car will
need to be replaced.  The lines and hoses on the left side of the motor are
not melted so that is a good sign that the fire was very localized.
8. The right front tire "popped" so until I get the wheel off I will not
know if the suspension got damaged.  I did get it up on a jack and a quick
look does not reveal the bushings having melted so maybe I got lucky there too.
9. The trim on the cockpit dash surround will need to be replaced as will
the glovebox and the carpet as the fire got into the passenger footwell.

Planning on putting the spare on, hosing the engine compartment out and
yanking the carpets before pushing it into the garage.  Then having a
paint/body shop come over to give me an estimate on the repair bill.

Just as the weather is turning nice the car is looking like it will
probably be down for the entire winter.