fot

RE: flywheel bolts

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, cartravel@pobox.com,
Subject: RE: flywheel bolts
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:42:09 -0700
I am a past master at removing broken bolts, probably a result of my
ham-fisted mechanical ways. There are many possibilities, but my favorite
is a little dull cold chisel. You need one about half the width of the
bolt. Tap straight down to make a minor dent, and then tap sideways to
rotate the bolt. A nailset sometimes works too. It takes some practice to
be good at this and to find all the right angles, but I've removed some
impossible stuff like this.

Another possibility is a small carbide burr instead of a drill. I use a
hefty magnetic base to clamp this cheesy drill press I have that uses a
portable drill. Run the drill backwards and feed the burr into the bolt.
If nothing else you'll eventually wind up with a decent hole for an easy
out, but more likely the heat and torque of grinding will spin the bolt
out.