fot

Re: flywheel bolts

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: flywheel bolts
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:19:39 -0400
My experience on this (yup, been there, done that, fixed it in the paddock
at Mid-Ohio in 2000) can be summed up like this...

If you used locktite, you are in for a battle. I would probably pull the
crank and mess with this on the bench for a while before giving up and
letting the machine shop get them out.

If you didn't use locktite, all the previously described methods sound good
and will probably work the treat. The Tap Disintegrator uncle jack
mentioned sounds like a cool toy! Me needs to get me one of those!

What I learned from losing my flywheel is this:

1:  Don't even think of using the stock locking tab washer, it is too soft
and the reason I lost my flywheel.

2:  Don't use any washer at all, and use locktite. I removed my flywheel
for the first time this past weekend. I used locktite red, probably
overkill. Will probably go with blue upon reassembly. I had my Moldex
drilled for eight 7/16ths bolts, and no dowel. I use appropriate shouldered
grade 8's. I ain't ever losing that flywheel again!