fot

Re: fot-digest V1 #1007

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fot-digest V1 #1007
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:53:21 EST
In a message dated 11/21/03 7:28:53 AM, owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

<<
       Its too bad that most of our race cars can not safely accommodate a
second passengers, otherwise FOT could offer a couple of noontime "tour'
laps,
presumably at safe speeds, in return for donations to local charities.

Cary >>

VARA (Southern California and various southwest tracks) has, I am told, run
noon-time drive-arounds for charity for many years. All passengers pay $10 for
the chance to go out on the track in a race car during the lunch break (even
relatives of the owner have to pay the tour fee). You see the spectators and
their kids lining up 30 minutes before the end of the last race. VARA has
raised
some significant money for kid-focused charities and it gives the drivers a
chance to check shift and turn-in points in slow(er) motion while doing a good
deed and having the fun of seeing a kid get a thrill. I don't know how they
deal with the liability issues with their insurers, however, though the passeng
ers have to sign the release clipboard when they pay their tenner.
Must ask -- why won't passengers fit? In our race groups, we're supposed to
have a complete cockpit, including trim panels and passenger seat, to qualify a
production car.
Cheers
Gary Anderson
editor, Classic Motorsports Magazine